South Carolina Coastal Conservation League
Berkeley County Organizer
Title: Berkeley County Organizer
Classification: Temporary, Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: Communities and Transportation Program Director
Location: Berkeley County
Date: April 1, 2019 – February 28, 2020
The Coastal Conservation League is engaged in a project to help guide future growth in Berkeley County with the goal of enhancing local communities and protecting natural assets. As a part of this project, we are seeking to hire a temporary community organizer who will be located in Berkeley County. This person will focus on developing and implementing a comprehensive land conservation strategy by establishing an urban growth boundary and a local conservation fund in the county.
This temporary position will work closely with staff from the Coastal Conservation League, Lord Berkeley Land Trust, and Audubon SC, as well as the Lowcountry Land Trust, Ducks Unlimited, The Nature Conservancy, and Southern Environmental Law Center.
This position will also involve engagement with county residents and elected officials to further land conservation programs and initiatives. He/She will be charged with organizing community members, engaging local elected officials, participating in the planning process in the towns of Summerville, Moncks Corner, and Goose Creek, and designing a public land conservation funding agenda.
A county land conservation program, coupled with a strong urban growth boundary, will benefit the overall quality of life for Berkeley County residents and will preserve areas for hunting, fishing, and other outdoor recreational activities.
Principal Responsibilities and Duties:
The primary responsibility of this temporary, project-based position will be to work with stakeholders to design and approve a county land conservation program. Leading this special initiative will be a one-year project.
The ideal candidate is an outgoing self-starter who has a deep passion for Berkeley County and is willing to work creatively and collaboratively to advance the interests of the community.
The person functioning in the temporary project-based position of Berkeley County Organizer will:
- Meet with elected officials in key municipalities and counties
- Represent the Coastal Conservation League and partners in a professional manner in the community
- Work directly with the community strategically and professionally
- Manage and report data input and tracking
- Communicate regularly with partners to further the urban growth boundary and referendum
- Take the initiative to achieve outcomes, including campaigns, events, communications, and collaborative efforts
- Provide a quarterly status report
- Other duties as required
- Candidates must be self-motivated, able to exercise discretion and judgment, and willing to work flexible and sometimes long hours outside of normal office hours (including nights and weekends) in order to accomplish this temporary position’s functions and goals.
- Candidates must have the ability to communicate with diverse communities and
- Candidates should have strong interpersonal skills, experience meeting deadlines, and the ability to manage tasks simultaneously.
- The ideal candidate will have a working knowledge of the culture and structure of Berkeley County.
- Candidates will have the will and desire to meet challenging goals in a variety of circumstances.
- Candidates will have a demonstrated creative problem-solving
- Candidates will have an understanding of team building and a respect for the power of
- Candidates will have a good sense of humor and a strong interest in and commitment to furthering the goals of the Coastal Conservation League to make the tri-county region a livable and vibrant
The person selected for this temporary project-based position will need to operate in a professional office environment and in the community to attend meetings, lunches, dinners, and events. Office location TBD in Berkeley County.
This employee travels frequently to Charleston, occasionally to Columbia, and to conferences and meetings, as needed.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree. Preference for a degree in a related field, but not required
- Solid working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and Powerpoint
- Willingness and ability to work weekends and long or irregular hours
- Demonstrated organizing experience
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Other duties may be required in this temporary job as requested by the Supervisor.
Please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Berkeley County Organizer” via regular mail to Coastal Conservation League, Human Resources, P.O. Box 1765, Charleston, SC 29402. No telephone calls, please. EOE.